Friday 16 March 2018

Evaluation for THE THREE SISTERS & THE YORK REALIST

14th March (Wednesday) The Three Sisters 

I was involved in the first scene where everything began and also the most important part of the play, the audience will observe the personality of the characters at the beginning in order to understand the whole play. During the very beginning, there was a very long period of me not saying anything, it will be very dry for the audience to watch if one of the characters sits at the corner reading book quietly while the others were having non-stop conversation.

I added some interactions with Jaychelle as she was sitting next to me to show the relationship between the sisters like peaking at what she was writing the whole time and make an expression to show that I'm not interested in that boring thing at all. When I get bored at reading my book, I kicked Jaychelle softly under the table and got smacked by her because of my playfulness. Another example was when I walked my way to kiss Kenya, she doesn't want to be kissed or be touched by me because I decided to leave earlier on her birthday, but I touched her shoulder on purpose just to show that I don't even care if she hates me.

Interactions between the sisters can be very strong in the play, even though I don't talk much throughout the whole beginning, the audience still gets to see that I'm actually in the scene with other characters.

One of the things that were being worked out perfectly was the pace of entering the scene and our cues to speak. During our rehearsals, everyone was tired and not being in their character and stuff, but there was a complete reversion during the performance.

Also, there was a scene where I need to shout "Lets drink and be damn" before the birthday dinner gets heat up, it was a very bold sentence. I definitely knew I did better than during rehearsals, as I gave in more energy. I got a lot of amazing feedback from others for what I did on the performance. I would really be looking forward making another huge improvement in my next performance.

Feedback from others:

  • The interactives between me and two other sisters were nice to watch, the audience gets to tell we're in a close relationship. 
  • The shout was unbelievably good, as it was louder than when I was rehearsing. The craziness inside Masha was being released. 


16th March (Friday) The York Realist

At the beginning of our performance, we are able to show the audience many different ways of us playing with the energy ball. There were some of us passing the ball with very slow pace and very carefully, also some that speed up the pace and pass the ball with full tension to keep the scene fresh. I went in the scene wanting to catch the ball before other people did, it makes me become a more competitive character on stage. 

During the war in Molly's scene, instead of just shooting people from the other side, I put in some exaggerated expressions to make the audience feel interesting, for examples, staring at the person on the opposite side fiercely, and also a shouting expression but not really shouting out as I do not want to over cover the background music. In Abdul's scene, when we were supposed to move from the side to the center of the scene, I make my movements as slow as possible. I started with squatting on the ground, and slowly coming up until 50% of my body is straight as I was moving along with others. Then only completely straight facing the front when I'm in the center. I actually do like this part because audience gets to see the levels between us, by doing this we can also prevent from blocking Abdul before he finishes saying his lines.  

In Georgina's scene when every one of us was standing in two lines going on with our own conversation, I was standing at the very front. To make it good for audience to watch, I actually added a few expression, I was pretending that I broke something from one of the family members, at first I was frightened and kept saying sorry to her, after a few seconds I started crying as my apology was not accepted. I heard people shouting, singing or scolding behind me to make a very noisy environment to show the situation in Georgina's house, so I decided to make a crying little scene for that. Everyone did great in this scene, although is a overall scene with everyone, and the audience probably did not look into every character but I think all of us put in our best in that scene.

Also, the scene I enjoyed the most was Malcom's scene, we danced around while Malcom was DJing, it was really fun to be crazy on stage during a performance. We totally influenced the audience as I know most of them were being driven by the music and also us. 

Overall evaluation: I think all of  us did very well with the ensemble work, it's gonna be impossible for one person to do a performance like this. I had a great time being the foil of other people's story, even though I don't have my own story. In this performance, I've learnt that everyone is important in a performance no matter how small your part is. A perfect show is just about building up all small parts to perform a big performance. 


No comments:

Post a Comment